Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Joy ?

To my friends, brothers and sisters because of Jesus….

You have been an encouragement to Mary and me over the nine months subsequent to my brain cancer diagnosis. Thank you for the care you have extended to us as we have been the recipients of blessing on top of blessing.

Last Monday, the visit with the Neuro Oncologist (neuro-onc) revealed that the cancer has grown significantly in the last six weeks since the last MRI. I am no longer a candidate for a chemo drug, Temador, as it has been less than effective, besides the serious side effect of depleting the platelets. The next treatment option involves Avastin, which also has very serious side effects. Left untreated, the neuro-onc projected about two months of life. With Avastin, about four months.  Characteristically, this is an aggressive, fast growing type of brain cancer.

After praying about next steps, talking with friends, Mary, and our kids,  I've decided to end the cancer treatment through The James. I have contacted Hospice and we will now come under their care.

In reaching this decision, I found great encouragement in James 1:2-4..."Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

The idea of joy has puzzled me.  I briefly talked with one of my friends the other day and he suggested that the "joy" found in James 1:2 might be closer to shalom.  I found that interesting as I had arrived at the idea of assurance and peace as I prayed and thought about how the Holy Spirit has been palpably present in this trial.  Mary and I have seen our faith in Jesus affirmed and strengthened, not diminished in this time of trial.

I know the number of my days are ordained by God (Psalm 139:16) with or without Avastin.  It is with great peace that I move into this space that is within His sovereign and loving control.

I'm hopefully able to remain active and currently look forward to seeing/talking with you as His grace allows. We continue to place our we trust in Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine, Eph 3:20.  
 

Krista, our middle daughter, along with her 3 kids are staying with us through June. She is a huge encouragement to Mary and me.  Shauna, our oldest daughter and her 4 kids were here through the weekend.  Noah will be here later after he and Hilary welcome a new baby boy into the world in the next week or so.  We will see them all again over the next month or so.  We are finding our remaining time together to be a great blessing.

7 comments:

Helen Jansma said...

Love the comment that "the Holy Spirit has been palpably present in this trial" and have heard that in all your postings. Praying for you all as you walk through the challenges and sweet family times in the days ahead. So thankful for your stong testimony to the grace of God in your lives. Love to all - Helen

Unknown said...

Tim,and Mary,

Thank you so much for your update. It seems to me that you are in a very good place - being rooted and grounded in Christ's love and sharing the presence of your family, physicians, and your community as you navigate treatment and quality of life options. I remember well the meeting I had with my Dad, Mom, and the oncologist. We determined that there were no other options for Dad. Dad was at peace and said he had lived a good life and was ready to go. He then asked if the Dr. would join us in prayer together - which he did. It was powerful, poignant and marked a clear fork in the road for Dad. He decided to stop treatment and enjoy his time at home and go on hospice. You are at this point in your journey too and my prayers go out to you and Mary. I'm sad but am convinced in my spirit that you are so grounded with God's peace and care during this time.

I pray that you will be able to really enjoy the time you spend with Mary, kids, and grandkids. Blessings and God's peace to you.

Gordon

Shari Spung said...

Tim, I'm so thankful that Jerry Searles sent the link to your blogspot. I of course heard the news of your diagnosis a while back but had not heard your powerful witness and I read every word on your blog. Your strength and reliance on the Lord are not a surprise to me and are a reflection of the true character that I always knew you to be. Peace of Christ be with you; I know that it is. What more can we ask for? Nothing can ever separate us from God and there is joy in that! Shari Spung

Steve Jansma said...

Tim and Mary and kids,
Over the years I have had the highest respect for how you walk with God and how you do life. It has been no surprise to witness how you have approached this overwhelming challenge. My heart is full of joy yet deeply saddened.
Jesus, who is your advocate, will fight for you through the power of the Spirit.
Your cousin,
Steve Jansma

Unknown said...

Dear Tim and Mary,

Thank you for the update, but more importantly for your beautiful example to those who have the privilege to watch your journey. I know we didn't have a lot of time together (especially in my adult years), but I still consider you family and will be praying for all of you as you move into the next chapter of this life on earth.

Numbers 6:24-26, "The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace."

Love,
Amy Straub
(Daughter of Jan Jansma)

Sue Davis said...

Tim & Mary,
I am so thankful for your testimony. You have no fear as you pass through these waters because Christ has gone before you. Your confident hope of joining the ranks in glory is contagious. In some ways, we that are left behind are a bit jealous that you get to go. You are loved and will be missed by many, but so many on the other side are waiting for you. We will be praying here for all of the family and for your continued peace from God Almighty.
Love to you and Mary,

Sue Davis

Anonymous said...

"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?
Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?...in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:31-39
You are living these truths out; what a beautiful thing it is to actually SEE the Word of God fleshed out in the lives of God's children. I am praying for God's peace, which passes our understanding, to simultaneously give you peace and to attract many who care for you to the God Who provides such unfathomable peace to His children. Thanks for ministering to us through your posts. I love you and Mary and am continuing to pray.
Jan(Jansma)Beacham